The Wasatch Front Regional Council (WFRC), the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and Association of Governments (AOG) for Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, southern Box Elder, Morgan, and Tooele Counties in Utah, is seeking two (2) full-time Transportation Planners/Engineers. WFRC builds consensus and enhances quality of life by developing and implementing visions and plans for a well-functioning multi-modal transportation system, livable communities, a strong economy, and a healthy environment.
The successful candidates will work in a highly collaborative environment to address the challenges of being one of the fastest growing states in the country. You will plan transportation and address interactions between land use, economic development, and transportation to help shape the future livability and sustainability of the region.
Located in downtown Salt Lake City, WFRC’s office is in a walkable and bikeable area accessible by foot, bikeshare, scooter, bus, light rail, commuter rail, and car. Salt Lake City is famous for offering urban amenities in close proximity to world class outdoor activities.
The two Planner/Engineer positions will be an integral part of the WFRC Long-Range Planning Group. Under supervision, each position will be primarily responsible for both day-to-day and long-range transportation planning, and coordination of transportation projects. These positions will perform a variety of professional and complex technical duties as needed to assist in the development and maintenance of the long-range transportation plans and programs.
Functions and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performs professional planning, requiring the application of transportation planning principles and the analysis of socio-economic issues.
- Participates in strategic and analytical planning processes to identify and anticipate future multi-modal transportation demands, related land use coordination issues/opportunities, and develop and present reports to identify trends and conditions influencing long- and short-range transportation plans.
- Prepares preliminary cost estimates and projections for projects on the Regional Transportation Plan and prepares analysis of transportation funding options.
- Performs various coordinating duties and tasks related to the ongoing development, production, and maintenance of the Regional Transportation Plan and Wasatch Choice 2050 Vision, including periodic progress reports, public input, and outreach efforts.
- Represent WFRC by providing planning assistance to various elected officials, local government staff, state agencies, federal agencies, transit agencies, committees, task forces, and the general public.
- Work collaboratively with extended stakeholders including public and private sectors.
- Coordinate/manage/participate as a point of contact and serve as a liaison between WFRC and outside agencies/user groups, acting as staff to technical committees and monitoring various local government projects.
- Prepare and deliver written and oral communications to a wide variety of stakeholders, conveying complex transportation concepts and recommendations in a clear, compelling manner.
- Maintain professionalism, integrity, and a public-service attitude.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, engineering, geography, public or business administration, or a related field. Master’s Degree, equivalent experience, or enrollment in Master’s Degree program preferred.
- One to three (1-3) years of responsible professional experience in transportation planning, engineering, urban design, or a related field. Computer software experience with (MS Office Suite) word processing and spreadsheet application required. Desired skills include experience in mapping and GIS application, land use and corridor planning, and project management.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Compensation and benefits
Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience and responsibility. Full benefits package.
Those interested in this position should submit a letter of interest briefly outlining their experience and qualifications (one page) and a resume by email to Amber Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Tuesday, August 6, 2019. For further information, contact Amber Gonzales at (801) 363-4250 x1122. For general information, please visit our website at www.wfrc.org.
The Wasatch Front Regional Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.