The Wasatch Front Regional Council (WFRC), the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and Association of Governments (AOG) for Davis, Morgan, Salt Lake, Tooele, Weber, and southern Box Elder Counties in Utah, is seeking a full-time Modeler/Engineer. WFRC builds consensus and enhances quality of life by developing and implementing visions and plans for a well-functioning multi-modal transportation system, livable communities, a strong economy, and a healthy environment.
Join our team! We are looking for an innovative, collaborative, and driven individual that embodies systems-level thinking, a knack for efficient problem solving, and a passion for our region and its future.
The successful candidates will work in a highly collaborative environment to address the challenges of being one of the fastest growing states in the country. You will assist in developing forecasting tools and other information resources in support of the short and long range transportation planning processes to help shape the future livability and sustainability of the region.
Located in downtown Salt Lake City, WFRC’s office is in a walkable and bikeable area accessible by foot, bikeshare, scooter, bus, light rail, commuter rail, and car. Salt Lake City is famous for offering urban amenities in close proximity to world class outdoor activities.
The Modeler/Engineer positions will be an integral part of the WFRC Analytics Group. Under supervision, the position will perform a variety of professional and complex technical duties as part of the team responsible for the development, enhancement, and maintenance of a suite of regional models.
Functions and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Desire to work in a professional, team environment – valuing above all that which can be accomplished together with colleagues, agency partners, and elected officials
- Develop basic statistical models
- Quantitative and statistical analysis
- Database development and management
- Communicating model inputs and outputs in meaningful ways that are understandable to a non-technical audience
- Enhancing connection between models and GIS
- Create, edit, and maintain spatial datasets
- Perform and disseminate analysis of spatial and tabular data
- Display and communicate complex concepts in clear, understandable ways
- Propose and implement improvements to WFRC data management practices
- Respond to requests for data and mapping from internal and external customers
- Attend public meetings and open houses
- Participate on internal teams relating to the Regional Transportation Plan, Transportation Improvement Program, Community Development Block Grant, and others
- Attend user group meetings
- Maintain professionalism, integrity, and a public-service attitude
- Other duties as assigned
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in planning, computer science, engineering, geography or related field. Master’s degree preferred. Coursework in GIS required.
- Two (2) years of responsible experience working in a data-intensive analytics, modeling, or mapping position. Experience with ESRI GIS including ArcMap, ArcPro, 3D Analyst, Network Analyst, Spatial Analyst, and ArcGIS Online, as well as Microsoft Office suite (especially Excel). Demonstrated experience automating mapping, modeling, or geoprocessing processes using Python or similar programming languages.
- Understanding of the basic principles of economics, demographics, econometric theory, and best practices in the management of large datasets.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Compensation and benefits
Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience and responsibility. Full benefits package including pension through Utah Retirement System; 401k / 457 with employer match up to 7.65%; medical, dental, vision, life insurance; vacation; sick leave; paid holidays, paid personal days; and education assistance program.
Those interested in this position should submit a letter of interest briefly outlining their experience and qualifications (one page) and a resume by email to Amber Gonzales at email@example.com by noon on Wednesday, December 11, 2019. For further information, contact Amber Gonzales at (801) 363-4250 x1122. For general information, please visit our website at www.wfrc.org.
The Wasatch Front Regional Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.