The Wasatch Front Regional Council (WFRC) – the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and Association of Governments (AOG) for the area of Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, Morgan, Tooele, and southern Box Elder Counties in Utah – is seeking an individual in a full-time capacity to manage WFRC’s government relations and legislative issues at the local, regional, state and federal levels.
WFRC builds consensus and enhances quality of life by developing and implementing visions and plans for a well-functioning multi-modal transportation system, livable communities, a strong economy, and a healthy environment. The individual in this position will help to shape policy and funding in transportation and related land use and economic development issues that are vital to the future of our region and state.
Description: The Government Relations Manager will serve these primary functions:
- Collaborate with local, state, and federal elected officials, agency staff, and other public and private partners and stakeholders.
- Track and analyze relevant state and federal legislation and policy developments.
- Participate in developing and implementing policies and programs designed to advance WFRC’s strategic goals and short- and long-range plans.
- Participate in relevant state and national organizations and associations.
- Report to the WFRC Executive Director; work with WFRC members and staff.
Desired Skills, Abilities and Knowledge:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with local, state, federal, and other officials, staff, and agency partners and stakeholders.
- Organize, coordinate and manage the efforts of multiple, disparate parties towards common goals.
- Possess superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Be a self-starter who can work both independently and as part of a team.
- Effectively manage politically sensitive issues.
- Strong analytical ability and attention to detail, with ability to think strategically.
- Complete complex projects within specified deadlines while managing multiple work efforts.
- Have knowledge of and interest in legislative and regulatory processes that affect regional transportation, land use, and economic development planning, policy, and funding.
- Maintain professionalism, integrity, and a public-service attitude.
- Graduation from college; advanced degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Science, Law, or related field; AND
- Five (5) years of relevant experience related to above duties; two (2) years of which must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
To apply: Those interested in this position should submit a letter of interest outlining their experience and qualifications (1 – 2 pages) and a resume to Ned Hacker, Wasatch Front Regional Council, 295 North Jimmy Doolittle Road, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84116 by Noon Tuesday, November 14, 2017. The letter and resume can be sent by email to email@example.com. For further
information, contact Ned Hacker at the addresses above or at (801) 363-4230 x 1120. For general information, please visit our website at www.wfrc.org. The Wasatch Front Regional Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.